I didn't think he was going to come early - I didn't think I could be so lucky. I had plans. Saturday morning I was going to take Zoey to the mall to shop and look around and Dane was going to go to the gun show (which he missed last year). The next two weeks would be filled with small projects including baking and cooking meals and treats to freeze so I could be very prepared after I had him.
I had had braxton hicks contractions off and on the last month or so and on Friday, after a morning playing at the YMCA with Zoey, I noticed they were getting a little closer together. When Dane got home they were becoming painful and even closer. So I finished packing the hospital bag and Dane vacuumed out the car, installed the carseat and brought in the swing. Luckily the day before he had rearranged our room and put in the pac n play.
I still didn't want to get my hopes up and I kept thinking it still could be false labor. I showered and we got ready for bed around 10:30. I knew there was no way I was going to sleep because the contractions were way too painful. So I let Dane sleep and I got up. I started watching the movie "Dirty Dancing" to help distract me but it didn't work. I began looking up youtube videos that explained when to go to the hospital. I started to realize I was in labor. At 1:30 am I called the midwife and she said I should get ready to come in.
I was worried about waking Dane and Zoey and also my friend Caitlyn who was going to watch Zoey. Luckily I had already told her that this could be the night. I got ready and woke Dane up. He loaded the car, got Zoey and called Caitlyn. He put Zoey on my lap since we were dropping her off just around the corner. After getting Zoey dropped off we headed to the hospital. The contractions were bringing me to tears. Dane dropped me off at the door so he could park the car and when a guy saw me he quickly put me in a wheelchair. Dane came in quickly and we were taken to labor and delivery.
After getting all set up the nurse checked me and I was dilated to a 5. I was thrilled but immediately asked for an epidural. They started getting me prepped for one and after 45 minutes and many very long and painful contractions the anesthesiologist came but he said they needed to check me before he would give me an epidural. I was turning to my side and my water broke. I moaned through my tears, "MY WATER BROKE" and the pain all of a sudden felt completely unbearable. The nurse said, "she's at a ten!" The anesthesiologist said there was nothing he could do now. The pain became so intense I started screaming at the top of my lungs into the pillow I was squeezing. I felt a huge amount of pressure and it felt like my body started pushing and I had no control. I started yelling, "I am pushing and I can't stop! I can't stop it!" Thinking they were going to tell me to try to stop but they didn't. The midwife wasn't there yet so they called a doctor in from the hallway pushed my legs back and told me to push. I remember saying at some point-"I can't do this! I don't want to!" but they all kept telling me, "Yes you can! You can do this!" Dane kept telling me, "You are doing great! He is almost here!" After about 3 or 4 pushes he was out.
They cut the cord and gave him to me. It was everything I had hoped and dreamed. I really wanted a natural birth but I was so worried about the pain- I know if I could have I would have gotten the epidural but luckily it happened so fast I didn't have a choice. The pain was horrible but the experience was incredible and I have recovered sooo much faster than I did with Zoey. So many blessings!
Weston was 8 lbs. 2 ounces and 21 inches long. He was born at 3:34 am on St. Patrick's day. We are so grateful to have him here!
First Bath
Zoey liked him right away.
7 comments:
What a fun and crazy story! Weston is so handsome and I love all his hair! You guys have such a beautiful family! Congrats!
Oh my goodness look at you going all natural! Way to go Laurel! You are amazing. Glad you are recovering so quickly.
Look at all of his hair!!! I LOVE it! He is seriously adorable!
Congratulations! That's great he came early. I can't believe all his hair :) I've had my last two babies naturally and definitely love the whole experience. It's amazing isn't it!? Now you know what to expect it will be easier next time (not that you want to think about that right now!)
very similar birth experience as quincey. if i was promised to have a birth as fast as her again, i would totally go natural. congratulations on the beautiful boy! i like his name too. maybe one day we will come visit...
Way to go, Laurel! I'm glad you were able to go natural the way you wanted - and especially glad that it went quickly for you. I love his name and I just can't believe all his hair! I'm glad to hear you're recovering well and I hope the rest of recovery and transition goes well.
Congrats on the new little guy!! He is soo darling!
And kudos to you for what you went through! Glad he and you are doing well. :) You guys make such a cute family!
I just knew he was going to come early!! Congratulations. Your story has made me feel the urge to pack and get everything ready, it was also really encouraging to hear that you were able to deliver without any pain medication!! Way to go Laurel!
Post a Comment