Thursday, December 8, 2011

Stupid Flu Shot

I took Zoey to get a flu shot a week before thanksgiving.  Big mistake.  I don't think I'll ever take her to get a flu shot again.  She hardly slept the night after she got the shot and she threw up for the first time since she was an infant.  The following week she was irritable, grouchy,  tired, and had a slight fever.  She was miserable.  It was the most cuddly I think she has ever been.  We spent a lot of time in the rocking chair.  Even though I felt bad for her I enjoyed cuddling with her.  At one point her fever got to a 105. We took her to the emergency room. 

It was a nightmare.  We were in the waiting room for 2 1/2 hours.  Zoey cried and I cried.  It was way past her bedtime and she was miserable.  Finally they took us into room - after another hour they gave her medicine (by shoving it down her throat) and another half hour passed before they checked her urine by inserting a catheter in you know where.  She ended up having a viral infection.

On top of that the doctor was obnoxious and told us that high fevers were not dangerous.  Right - they can only cause seizures...

Poor girl..

Luckily after our rough week she is back to her normal busy self. 

1 comment:

Jessica :) said...

How sad. She looks miserable; poor thing. It's so weird how flu shots affect people differently. Livie got hers and it barely phased her (aside from the initial poking, that is). I'm so glad Zoey is better and everything is back to normal again.