Monday, June 27, 2011

What's goin on with Zoey

Zoey has had a pacifier since she was 2 days old.  It has been a huge blessing for us because it helped soothe her.  I have not been looking forward to taking it away but I was advised to take it away when she turned a year, so I did. 

She has adjusted pretty well- the hardest part has been bedtime and naptime.  She was such an AMAZING sleeper with her pacifier but now she has a hard time soothing herself to sleep. 

I am still trying to figure out how to help her- any advice is appreciated. I have already made some progress with my sister's advice to give her a sippy cup of water and a book.  I also try to read her a story and sometimes sing her a song before laying her down-kind of a bedtime process.


 When I check on Zoey I often find her sleeping like this, she cracks me up.
 There have been many times throughout Zoey's first year that I have worried about her development.  I see other babies her age and younger doing things she hasn't done.  I know it's not fair to compare and that every child is different and with reassurance and Doctor's appointment's my worries disappear for a little only to return at times with different questions and comments. 

I went to a wic appointment and the lady asked if Zoey had said any words-well not really she still just babbles although I think she is recognizing "mama" and "dada"- but I thought, "are you kidding me??"

Anyway- she also asked if I had any concerns about Zoey and I explained how I worry about her development off and on.  I was informed that a nurse could come and check her development- and I thought, why not?

Well the nurse came to my apartment and the appointment went really well.  Turns out Zoey is doing really well in 3 of the 5 categories ( I don't remember them all but one is fine motor skills) but she is struggling with communication and gross motor skills (mainly walking and pulling herself up) .  The nurse was concerned the most about the fact that Zoey is not pulling herself up. 

She said I could start her on a program where they will work with her and try to help her with those skills or I  could have her come back in a few months to see how she is doing.  I decided to have the nurse come back to check her in a few months.  The nurse made a few comments while observing that I was doing a lot of the things they would do to help her develop those skills.

So I am going to work with her a little more than I usually do- and I hope that will help her progress in those areas.

Sorry that was A LOT of information- but I am really grateful for what is available, it is SO nice to talk to someone and get all of that feedback. 
Here is a video of Zoey clapping, waving, and "ooooo"ing.  Some of her recent skills. The second video is of Zoey walking with help- she didn't even move her feet before so we are making progress!

2 comments:

Jessica :) said...

Her walking is SO cute! I love it! Good luck with the binki issue. Livie hasn't taken a binki since she was about a month old so I don't have any advise for you. Sorry. I'm nervous about getting rid of the bottle. She's so attached that she screams if I try to give her milk in a sippy cup. It's hard when they are attached to something and you don't know how to help them. So I wish you luck!

Anonymous said...

She is a DOLL... and I love your family picture! So nice to be able to read about your adorable family!!!