Monday, January 3, 2011

Preparations for Christmas

This year we went to Texas for Christmas, and we DROVE.  This trip took a lot of preparation.  I tried to be as organized and ready as possible.  I went to the library to get books on tape and movies, I got the oil changed in the car, I cleaned the apartment, I checked the weather and roads, I did dishes and laundry so I wouldn't have to do it when we got home, I packed and wrapped presents, Dane and I loaded the car early, we borrowed a dvd player for the car, I pumped bottles for Zoey and prepared snacks and other food and all the preparation paid off.  

I wanted to share a couple recipes I used that turned out great.   
 Chocolate Oat Squares
Ingredients

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened, divided
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
4 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
3 cups quick-cooking oats
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Directions

1. In mixing bowl, cream 1 cup butter and brown sugar.  Beat in eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla.
2. Combine the oats, flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and baking soda; stir into creamed mixture.
3. Press two-thirds of oat mixture into greased 15 in x10 in x 1 in baking pan.
4. In a saucepan, combine milk, chocolate chips and remaining butter and salt.  Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted.
5. Remove from the heat; sitr in remaining vanilla. Spread over crust. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture.
6. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Banana Muffins
 Ingredients


1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large bananas, mashed
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup butter, melted

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat muffin pans with non-stick spray, or use paper liners. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
2. Combine bananas, sugar, egg, and melted butter in a large bowl. Fold in flour mixture, and mix until smooth. Scoop into muffin pans.
3. Bake in preheated oven. Bake mini muffins for 10 to 15 minutes, and large muffins for 25 to 30 minutes. Muffins will spring back when lightly tapped.

1 comment:

Michelle Starrs said...

i alway PLAN to be so prepared and then it never happens. So good job on all the prep! road trips are killer especially with kiddos!