Saturday, February 4, 2012

Recipe 2

Once again I found this recipe at http://budget-bites.blogspot.com.  I always like finding a good recipe that uses beans instead of meat because there are times I don't have meat thawed and ready to use.  I really liked these and I think Dane did too.  I think next time I would chop up my spinach better ( I used frozen spinach that needed to be chopped ) and I would add just a little less, other than that it was great and I felt like it was pretty healthy, cheap, and easy to make. 
 
 Black Bean Taquitos


1 14-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 Tbl. bottled salsa
1 garlic clove, minced (I used a garlic press)
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbl. fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
1, 10-oz. box frozen spinach, thawed, drained, and roughly chopped (I bought chopped frozen spinach, but once it's frozen, be sure to squeeze as much water as you can out of the spinach)
3/4 cup frozen corn kernels
1/2 cup diced roasted red peppers (I made my own and used a total of 1 whole pepper)
1 cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar)
8-10 soft taco-sized whole wheat tortillas (regular flour tortillas would work)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Place 3/4 cup of bean in a food processor with the salsa, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, and lime juice. Process until mostly smooth. (I think it would be possible to just mash the beans if you don't have a food processor, or you could also use a blender) Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl and add remaining ingredients (except tortillas), including the rest of the beans. Mix together.

Place about 1/4 cup of the bean mixture on each tortilla. Roll up the tortillas and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until edges are golden brown and crisp.

1 comment:

Jessica :) said...

Look at you go! I love trying new recipes. I'm always cooking new things and forgetting to go back to the things we love. I need to be better about that. But I'm glad you're sharing the recipes you try and your review. I love reading those kinds of things (so much that I have my own cooking blog - not because I'm that good at cookig but because I like sharing reviews of food with people). I'm excited to see what else you end up trying! I also love to cook with beans. They taste so good and are so healthy. Love that.