I immediately thought of the day I had Zoey. It was physically painful and exhausting but completely amazing and wonderful at the same time.
(I wanted to write the experience with a little more detail to help me remember)
After having contractions constantly throughout the night and timing them Dane and I decided to head for the hospital at about 7am. After being checked the nurse said I was dilated to a 1. They told us to walk around the hospital to get things going. I wobbled slowly around and during every contraction I put my arms around Dane's neck and leaned on him (something they taught us in our birthing class)
A few hours later I was dilated to a 2 or 3.
They finally put me in a room and hooked me up to the monitors, telling me the doctor would be in to check on me and to break my water around noon.
I asked to sit in the jacuzzi while I waited. It was so nice, even though the contractions were becoming more and more painful-the jacuzzi made them more bearable. The nurses were constantly checking on me to check the temperature and the baby's heartbeat.
Not after too long the nurses asked me to head back to the room. I was put on pitocin and and found out I was dilated to a 4. The contractions hurt and were close together and it was hard to think about anything else.Around 2 pm the doctor came to check me. I thought he was just checking to see how dilated I was but all of a sudden I felt water dumping everywhere. I was soaked. He broke my water and my stomach shrunk. I couldn't believe the amount of water that came out and I was sitting in it. I asked them to please change the pad I was sitting on. They said I was fine and I said I was soaked! Luckily they put a new pad under me.
I decided to get an epidural at some point and was completely terrified- since I saw a video of it during a birthing class.I felt strong as I got the epidural-since I felt so scared. It happened quickly and I started feeling a little better. I was still feeling the contractions so I pushed the button without feeling much change. The doctor ended up having to give me another dose.
I was still in pain but eventually in the later afternoon I was able to fall asleep- I was so tired. What felt like minutes later they said I was dilated to a 9 and it was almost time to start pushing. I couldn't believe it.
I remember thinking my life was about to change forever.
The doctor wasn't even there yet. I felt the urge to push and the nurses said to start pushing. Dane was holding my left leg and my mom was holding my right. I pushed hard a couple times and they saw her head but she wasn't quite coming out.
The doctor walked in the door, I got an episiodomy and a few pushes later Zoey was out. It was amazing. I was exhausted.
Soon she was put in my arms and it was a sweet moment. Everything just happened so fast-it was a special day.
No comments:
Post a Comment